Wine-Beyond-the-Wall (or, Wine-ter is Coming)
We created this hot spiced wine especially for the upcoming season of “Game of Thrones.” We hear it’s gonna be a cold one!
- 1 750 mL bottle medium-bodied red wine such as Merlot or Shiraz
- 2-3 tablespoons local wildflower honey
- 3 whole black peppercorns
- 1 whole star anise
- 1 whole green cardamom pod
- 4 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cassia cinnamon chunks (can substitute 1 cinnamon stick)
- 1 tablespoon blood orange bitters
- 1/4 cup brandy
- orange slices, for garnish
Combine all ingredients (through brandy) in a large saucepan. Slowly bring to a gentle boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Ladle into a mug or drinking horn. Garnish with orange slices.
Serves your house with honor.